Church Reopening Announcement(updated May 12, 2020)
Be Wise. Be Careful.
We understand there are a wide range of opinions on what is and is not wise. Please be gracious with those who differ with you about what is best.
Dear Church Family,
We are excited to announce that, Lord-willing, we are planning on resuming in-person services this Sunday, May 17! The only factor that could delay this is if the governor does not allow the state to begin reopening on Friday, May 15. If anything changes, we will let you know via Facebook, our church website, and email as soon as possible.
Like the state’s reopening, we will be reopening the church in several phases. We expect this first phase to last at least through the end of May. Here are the details you may want as you prayerfully evaluate returning to church.
Should I come to church?
During this first phase, we continue to encourage those most vulnerable to COVID-19 (elderly & those with underlying conditions) to stay home and worship online. We will be streaming the service via Facebook Live. Videos of the service will be posted on our church website by Monday afternoon.
Also, to protect everyone who does attend, please stay home if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
(Taken from https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html)
Anyone displaying these symptoms will not be allowed to attend services.
What should I expect?
To comply with the governor’s recommendations and best practices, please be prepared for the following adjustments to our normal activities:
- Worship Service Only – We will not have Sunday School, Nursery, or Children’s Church during this initial phase. Wednesday evening Prayer Meeting will still be on Zoom through the end of May. Also, the coffee station will be closed.
- Main Entrance Only – the small parking lot and back entrances will be closed. Everyone should park in the large parking lot and come in through the Main Entrance doors.
- Arrive Early – As you will see, we have some additional procedures in place that may take more time. Please plan to arrive 10-15 minutes earlier than you normally would for service so we can begin promptly at 11:00.
- Social Distancing – The governor’s mandate is that we maintain six (6) feet of social distance from anyone who isn’t a member of our immediate family. Please refrain from hugs, handshakes, etc., and maintain appropriate distances as much as possible.
- Health Screenings – There will be a tent by the sidewalk leading to the main doors. Everyone coming into the service will have their temperature checked and will need to answer a few general questions regarding possible COVID-19 symptoms. Anyone who displays symptoms or answers “Yes” to these questions will not be admitted to the service.
- Face masks – Face masks that cover your nose and mouth are encouraged but not required. We will have additional masks available at the screening station for anyone who needs one.
- Offering & Communion – We will not pass items during the service, so please give online or deposit your offering in the wooden box on the way in. Also, on the Sundays we celebrate communion, please pick up pre-packaged communion elements off the table if you plan on participating.
- Seating – Due to social distancing requirements, certain seating areas will be closed. Ushers will meet you at the doors into the Sanctuary to help you find a seat.
This is an unprecedented time, so please extend grace as we work through all the details. Also, extend grace to others who feel differently about the virus and regulations. We are all in this together!
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reply to this message or contact the church office at (540) 394-3200. I can’t wait to see you again soon!
Christiansburg Baptist Church